Comic & Cartoon Competition - Gender Equality: Picture It!
About the Competition
UN Women together with the European Commission, the Belgian Development Cooperation, and UNRIC organized a Comic and Cartoon Competition on Gender Equality. The competition invited young European comic and cartoon artists and art students, aged 18 to 28 years, to picture their understanding of women's rights and gender equality through cartoons and comics. The comics and cartoons had to be without words.
- One First Prize: 1000 EUR
- One Second Prize: 500 EUR
- Three Third Prizes: 200 EUR each
The finalists have been invited to Brussels to the Competition awards ceremony in summer 2015. In addition, the finalists’ and semi-finalists’ drawings will be published in a booklet and may be considered for exhibition as well as for further publication.
Finalists were selected by a jury composed of professional comic artists, gender equality experts and communication experts:
- Pierre Kroll, Belgian Comic Artist, Member of Cartooning for Peace
- Marlène Pohle, Comic Artist, Vice-President of Federation of Cartoonists Organisations
- Salla Saastamoinen, Director for Equality, European Commission
- Alexander de Croo, Minister of Development Cooperation of Belgium
- Sylvie Braibant, Editor-in-Chief TV5MONDE
- Nanette Braun, Chief of Communications and Advocacy, UN Women
The submission deadline was 20 April 2015.
For more information on the Competition, including its full terms and conditions, please see the briefing note below (available in all official EU languages). The competition was conducted by the UN Women Brussels Office.